Can You Overdose on Shrooms

Dive into the captivating realm of ‘Can You Overdose on Shrooms,’ where we unravel the mystique, debunk the myths, and take you on an unforgettable journey through the psychedelic wonders!

mushroom overdose

For millennia, magic mushrooms and psychedelics have played a significant and fascinating role in diverse human societies all over the world. With the gradual decline of the War on Drugs, some states have taken progressive steps by legalizing psychedelics. When a certain substance becomes more easily accessible, it raises a multitude of questions, and the possibility of overdosing on magic mushrooms is just one of them. Truth be told, the answer might be surprising.

Key Takeaways

  • You can’t die from taking too many magic mushrooms, but you can definitely overdose.
  • Proper dosing of magic mushrooms is essential to avoid a bad trip.
  • There are different dosage levels for magic mushrooms, ranging from microdosing (0.1g to 0.3g) to heroic doses (over 5g).
  • Typical signs of a psychedelic mushroom overdose may include anxiety, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, and excessive sweating.
  • The appropriate dosage of magic mushrooms varies depending on the individual, mindset, surroundings, and purpose of the psychedelic experience.

Understanding Magic Mushroom Dosage

When it comes to dosing shrooms, understanding the amount of psilocybin you’re consuming is key if you don’t want to overdose. Overdosing on magic mushrooms doesn’t mean you will die or end up in a hospital, but not being aware of the dosage can lead to a bad trip and discomfort. Magic mushrooms are a serious matter and shouldn’t be taken lightly, A proper dosing is essential for a positive psychedelic experience that will help you transform and improve your life. Here’s a general guideline for magic mushroom doses.

Mushroom Dosage Guideline

Microdose: 0.1g to 0.3g

A microdose is often referred to as a “sub-perceptual” dose. It’s about 1/10th of an average dose and does not cause hallucinogenic effects. Microdosing has gained popularity due to research supporting mental health, creativity, and focus.

Low Dose: 0.3g to 1g

A low dose of magic mushrooms is slightly higher than a microdose and usually produces noticeable psychedelic effects. Users may experience increased euphoria and enhanced perception of colors.

Medium Dose: 1g to 3g

A medium dose of psilocybin mushrooms induces stronger psychedelic effects, including open- and closed-eye visuals, heightened euphoria, and a profound sense of connection to the world around you. When taking a medium dose, it’s advisable to have a trusted companion to support you during your journey.

High Dose: 3g to 5g

A high dose of psilocybin mushrooms leads to cognitive dissociation, and some users may experience what’s known as an “ego death.” This dosage allows for a deep dive into the psychedelic experience, resulting in a profound sense of unity with the surrounding world.

Heroic Dose: Over 5g

A heroic dose is taken by experienced psychonauts seeking a complete ego dissolution and healing of deep-rooted trauma. Users often report experiencing an “out of body” sensation during a heroic dose. It is essential to emphasize that taking a heroic dose should only be done under the guidance of a trained professional.

Importance of Proper Dosage

Proper dosage

Why is proper dosage important? Well obviously, if the dosage is inadequate, you can potentially “overdose” and have a bad trip. The significance of proper dosage lies in ensuring a safe and controlled experience. As the potencies vary among species and taking too much can lead to overwhelming effects followed by anxiety and distress. Correct dosage also minimizes the potential risks of experiencing a bad trip. This unpleasant experience may include feelings of paranoia, confusion, and fear. Some even get disoriented and struggle to distinguish reality from the hallucinations induced by magic mushrooms. Proper dosing aligns with all principles of the positive psychedelic experience. Emphasizing a responsible and mindful approach is the key to a successful and profound journey.

Recommended Dosage

The appropriate dose of magic mushrooms varies from person to person, making it crucial to understand their effects on the body and approach the psychedelic experience with intention. Based on our experience and research, a typical dose of magic mushrooms falls between 1g and 3g, depending on factors like mindset, surroundings, and purpose.

If you are looking for a “light buzz,” it’s recommended to opt for a 1g dose. However, if delving deeper into self-exploration with the assistance of magic mushrooms going for a higher dose of about 3g would be better suited. Higher doses beyond this range should be undertaken under the supervision of a trained professional.

Overdose Symptoms and Toxicity

Taking an excessive amount of mushrooms or using a potent batch can result in an overdose, leading to uncomfortable and potentially severe physical and mental symptoms.

Typical signs of a psychedelic mushroom overdose may include:

  • Anxiety and panic attacks
  • Vomiting and diarrhea
  • Agitation
  • Paranoia
  • Psychosis
  • Seizures
  • Coma

Keep in mind that psilocybin mushrooms have low toxicity, and fatalities from an overdose are exceptionally rare. According to a survey in 2016, out of over 12,000 psilocybin users, only 0.2% required emergency medical treatment. This rate is five times lower than that of MDMA (Ecstasy), LSD, and cocaine. An overdose episode typically lasts around 6 to 8 hours, although some effects may persist for several days.

Can You Overdose on Magic Mushrooms?

It is possible to overdose on magic mushrooms, but there have been no reported cases of fatal overdose. Unlike other drugs, magic mushrooms, being natural fungi, affect the body differently. Common symptoms of “overdosing” on magic mushrooms include:

  • Anxiety
  • Lightheadedness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea and/or vomiting
  • Excessive sweating

However, it’s essential to note that these effects can occur during a psychedelic mushroom journey without necessarily having overdosed. The term “overdose” simply means taking a “dangerous” amount of a drug. While other drugs may be fatal in excessive quantities, a large dose of magic mushrooms may only result in a challenging or uncomfortable trip. To prevent magic mushroom overdose you need to understand how to prepare for a psychedelic trip.

How Stop a Psilocybin Mushrooms Overdose

How Stop an Overdose

You need to know how to get through it if you believe a bad trip is occurring and you feel like you took too much. You won’t die; it will just be mentally exhausting. To deal with these impacts, try using some of the following techniques. 


Never undervalue the effectiveness of mindful breathing when you’re having a bad trip. Pay attention to your breathing and take slow, deliberate breaths. To lessen the intensity of the experience, you might find it beneficial to exhale for a longer period of time than you inhale. Combining breathwork exercises with attentive pursuits like yoga or meditation might be helpful.


Whatever the experience entails, truly embrace it. Do your best not to battle or oppose your feelings, whether you are feeling nervous, overwhelmed, or facing a sensation of dissolution. Instead, approach them with kindness and a sense of interest. Acceptance can lessen the trip’s damaging effects.p.

Change the Set and Setting

Keep in mind that psychedelic experiences are significantly influenced by the environment. Consider changing your environment if you’re having a bad trip. To establish a more upbeat and welcoming environment, change the setting or relocate. Perhaps this change will lift your spirits in general.

A Recap on If You Can Overdose on Shrooms

While there lies a possibility of “overdose” on magic mushrooms, fatalities from such occurrences are incredibly rare. Unlike other drugs, magic mushrooms have extremely low toxicity, thus, consuming them can be considered harmless for the body. However, they can sometimes be really overwhelming on your mind. Therefore, it’s important to know what the effects are and how to properly dose your magic mushrooms. Approach them with respect, and they will honor you with great and transformative insights.


What are the risks of using shrooms laced with other substances?

Laced mushrooms can be significantly more dangerous than regular ones. The lace could potentially contain a poisonous substance or a stronger batch of another hallucinogenic drug, leading to intense hallucinations, visual distortions, or other health issues. Moreover, the user will not be aware of the actual substance they ingest, increasing the risk of overdosing.

What kind of negative effects may occur after taking shrooms?

 Using magic mushrooms can lead to a distorted sense of time, intense visual distortions, and feelings of fear or distress, usually referred to as a “bad trip”. In some cases, users can encounter a hallucinogen persisting perception disorder, which involves experiencing flashbacks to hallucinations even years after the drug was last used.

Are there treatment options for people who regularly use magic mushrooms?

Yes, treatment options are available for people who regularly use magic mushrooms and find themselves struggling with addiction. Treatment often involves a combination of therapy and medication. Substance abuse treatment, available at addiction treatment centers, can help users manage their cravings, deal with the underlying issues that led to their drug use, and build a healthier lifestyle.

Similar Posts